Saturday, December 31, 2011

Memories of Christmas Day

Christmas morning here was like any Sunday morning around here.  That is, it was like any Sunday morning around here that I had to sing a solo.  (In case you didn't know, I have never sung a solo in church before, so basically I was calmly, silently freaking out).  We made it to church early (which I suppose is also not typical).

the girls looked simply lovely in their new Christmas dresses 

Rachel was feeling sick, but she didn't want to miss seeing me sing (and she didn't want to miss wearing her new dress to church)

I heard our sacrament meeting was very nice, very spiritual.  It was all over in a little bit more than an hour, so for a Christmas morning program, it was perfect.  I don't really know.  I sang my solo, too slowly, started in the wrong key, and blundered through.  Basically, after practicing all week, I felt pretty awful about the way it sounded.  Cole said I was too close to the microphone, and it is a bad sound system.  Yeah, I guess we can blame the sound system.  Toward the end of the program, I also sang with the choir, and I felt a lot better about that performance.  All in all, I was really glad it was over.  I apologize if any of you were there and tried to compliment me.  I am afraid I was not very gracious; I just didn't feel like I had sung well at all.  I'm sorry.

But the rest of our Christmas day was very pleasant.  Papa Joe and Grandma Carol came over in the afternoon, and we had a nice visit with them.  They also received a special framed picture from us, and they told us how much they liked it.  We shared a delicious Christmas Brunch with them, consisting of buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk syrup, bacon, cheese souffle and fresh-squeazed orange julius.  When we have a little extra time, we love to make this meal to share with people we love.

Later in the day, we made it over to Grandma Gail and Grandpa Worthy's to visit and spend some time with Chrislynn and Richie's family while they were visiting, especially since they would be staying longer, but we were leaving to visit family up north on Monday.

 just chillin'

 do you think they are texting each other?

 Kd is enjoying her new iPad that she got for Christmas; Grandma is enjoying the company

 Tyler loved playing with Sophia and her presents

 Richie has a special superhero name, but I keep forgetting it--Oh, wait that's not Richie; that's . . . [insert superhero name]

 Back at our house, I thought I would show you some pictures of our newest family member

His name is Diesel and he is really adorable, and he seems to have a nice, mellow personality.  Thank you, Macdonald family for this special Christmas gift!

It was a good Christmas all the way around.  We kept it fairly simple, as far as presents go, but that helped us to keep the focus on enjoying being with family and those we love.  And maybe next year I can volunteer to be a narrator, so I can enjoy the spirit of the program without the stress of singing a solo.  I don't think I am ready for doing that again any time soon.

No comments: