Friday, January 27, 2012

Memories of Hawaii

When we first arrived at the home in which we would be staying during our Hawaiian vacation, I noticed we had a perfect view of the ocean to the east.  I knew it would be a perfect vantage point for some amazing sunrises over the ocean.  

But our first night there, I was exhausted and crashed into bed at 10:00 p.m. (1:00 a.m. Utah time).  Then, you assume I would be able to rise early.  After all, 7:00 a.m. in Hawaii is 10:00 a.m. in Utah.  Well, I had a few mornings that I woke and glanced out the window at the sunrise, but I didn't get up.  I didn't go outside and get pictures.

It wasn't until Wednesday morning that I got up, got dressed, and headed down to the beach to get some pictures.  Photos still don't do the sight justice, but at least I tried.



Wednesday morning, Britt had made arrangements to take surfing lessons down in Hanalei Bay at 9:00 a.m.  That meant we needed to get ready for the day a little earlier than we had been.  Typically, we did not leave the house until around noon, and that was okay.  After all, we were on vacation.

I took advantage of the moment to get a picture of one of the beautiful views of the island:


Britt and Jeff before their lessons started (my camera has been having focus issues) 

listening to their instructor 

a panoramic shot of Hanalei Bay 

 practicing their stance

 Britt's got the "warrior" pose down

 the pier


 Britt was a natural



Sorry, Jeff.  I couldn't resist posting these pictures


 oops!





I joked with Britt that while he and Jeff took their lessons, Alisa and I were going to take off on our own with the jeep.  But then I decided to play paparazzi, taking a ton of pictures of them while they played (they said it was exhausting).  I think Alisa was just happy to soak up the sun.  It was a beautiful morning, with temperatures in the low 80's.  The surf instructor recommended the little taco stand for lunch, so Britt ordered a veggie burrito and I got the chicken quesadilla with cream cheese and jalapeno.  It was a bit spicy for my taste, so I ended up trading with him halfway through.

The rest of the day was open for plenty of options.  We could go snorkeling again.  We could go find another beach.  Take a hike.  We decided to find Secret Beach, a supposedly hidden oasis, not accessible from the road.  A beach and a hike.  It was worth it, too.  Those pictures later. . .

1 comment:

Kellie Roring said...

LOL!!! Gotta love that pic of Jeff!