Friday, September 9, 2011

Mustang Football Season Begins. . . with a loss

It was a loss, and it was sooo sad, but we think these guys are going to figure the game out and then they are going to have a lot of fun. Britt and our good friend Paul Macdonald have coached most of these boys (and the team now includes three girls, but they were never on a city rec team) at some point over the previous five years when they coached city league football. We were all looking forward to the day these boys would get to play together instead of against each other, as in the past they combined with boys in the grades above or below and competed on opposing teams. Well, this was that day, and it started a little rough.

Photobucket

Photobucket
"Where did you want me, Coach?"

Photobucket
I am pretty sure Dove Creek's number 70 weighed at least twice as much as Cole, but that didn't stop Cole from doing his job.

Photobucket
Block!

Photobucket
He's in the chase

Photobucket
Ready

Photobucket
After the kickoff

Photobucket
Lining up

Photobucket
Ahh, didn't get there in time!

Photobucket
We were down by 3 touchdowns at one point in the game.

Photobucket
But lucky for us, Bronz managed to break away at just the right times and scored 3 touchdowns for us. . .

Photobucket
. . .almost 4! Heartbreak! We just needed a few more minutes to figure out our game.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Cole brings the play in.

Photobucket
Defense!

Photobucket
That's the game!

I have to say, it was fun to get to see Bronz Eldredge actually get to play during this game. And boy, did he play! He was kicking really well. And it was great to see him carrying the ball. In the city recreation program the rules don't allow boys who weigh over 100 pounds to carry the ball or play certain positions. He has been too big every year since the boys started playing in third grade. And for someone who knows and loves the game so much, that must have been really difficult.

I just hope the other boys don't rely on Bronz so much that they don't work as hard as they should to do what they need to do. We have heard there are some players on that team that come home from practice and all they want to do is eat and go to bed. I wouldn't put Cole in that category. He and I are usually up doing Algebra homework late into the night after dinner. Maybe he would prefer to be in bed, but he is still up anyway.

I have to say we have been without T.V. since the school year ended in May and I don't know how we would ever have time to watch it if we still had it here. I feel like I am doing homework from the moment my kids walk in the door from school, and several of us are still way behind.

I am listening to the San Juan Football game as I am posting this; the video of the game is even being aired. I have to say I sort of miss the days when Lisa Macdonald stood on the sidelines and video our boys' city league games. Later, we would all get together and watch the video and discuss the things the boys did right and what they needed to work on. Although, I have to admit, I do not miss giving up my husband to the practices. And last year, he was coaching the middle school Cross Country team besides. He is a good man. But I am happy to have him to myself a little more.

I look forward to watching the ARL Mustangs Football team improve as their season continues. This game was last Thursday, just so you know. Oh, I forgot to tell you what they final score ended up. I think it was 22 to 30. Is that right, Lisa? I went to take a picture of the final score while there were still a few seconds left in the game, but they had turned it off. I guess someone just wanted to go home. We actually stayed for several minutes after the game and the teams each ran 10 different plays against each other for extra practice. Go, Mustangs!

**POST EDIT: I had the score wrong when I first published this post. It was 22 to 30, not 27 to 30, with Bronz scoring 3 not 4 touchdowns. Thanks, Kayela. Even if we had scored another touchdown, we would have needed to score the 2-point conversion to tie, not to win. So the game wouldn't have been over if we had scored that other touchdown.**

No comments: