Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sand Island May 2011

I have been overdue to post these pictures for a while.  Actually, there are several posts that are overdue, many of which are much more overdue than this one.  I think I will actually work backwards here, posting stuff from Easter soon.  Maybe some of the motorcycle trip posts I never finished.  Lots of National Park stuff.  I have lots of posting to do, and since I never really follow a pattern with anything, I am just going to post whatever I feel like and see if any of it makes sense to you.  I will try to be clear on the dates.  Try not to be confused because some of what I post may have happened last weekend and some of it will be from a year ago or more.

Sand Island.

Since we are not a boating family anymore, I thought we should try playing in the sand somewhere a little bit closer to our backyard.  We had a free Saturday in May, so we decided to go do something fun.  

And I got a ton of fun pictures:

DSC_0001

The water's a little cold, Mom

DSC_0002

ready to play

DSC_0003
Now I can't really tell you why Tyler's hair is green.  I think she was playing at a friend's house and she had green hairspray or something.  She kind of looks like a swamp creature.

DSC_0009
Cole did not know that Sand Island was a place with water.  He thought we would be playing in some dry sand dunes or something.  So he wasn't really prepared to get wet.

DSC_0010
Swamp girl ;)

DSC_0011
our picnic spot

DSC_0015
Olivia loved playing in the wet sand with the sand play set Rachel got for her birthday

DSC_0024

DSC_0025

DSC_0028
My little girls were scared of crossing through the rapidly running water to get to the sandbar, so big brother Garrett helped them.

DSC_0031

DSC_0039
Cole thought it was pretty funny how hard it was to push through the current. . .

DSC_0041
especially in his blue jeans

DSC_0042

DSC_0043
Olivia and Rachel only stayed for a moment

DSC_0046
And then they wanted help crossing back over.

DSC_0047

DSC_0051
See the rock she is throwing?  And I think she has a stick or something in her mouth.  If she is not a swamp creature, she is some kind of river sprite.

DSC_0055
The boys had fun floating on the current

DSC_0057
The river sprite with some seaweed

DSC_0059
A better view of where we were playing

DSC_0060

DSC_0064
Gorgeous, messy Olivia

DSC_0065
Rachel posing for the camera (she is my swimsuit model)

DSC_0066
wild child

DSC_0067
He will hate me for posting this

DSC_0068
"Don't take my picture, Mom!"


DSC_0090
Hey, at least I posted an unflattering picture of myself, too.

DSC_0094
Britt and I hanging out on "the beach"

DSC_0089
DSC_0095


DSC_0103
DSC_0096


DSC_0105
DSC_0099

One of my favorite shots from the day


DSC_0107
Love this girl

DSC_0108
She knows it!

The sand was actually pretty muddy near the water, so it made it hard to really play in it.  But that didn't stop the kids.  I have more pictures from the day, including an awesome sand fortress Cole's friend Porter built.

We love having so many fun places to enjoy so close to our home.  We like to play.

No comments: