Monday, November 28, 2011

An Adoption Love Story

We have all heard the saying that goes something along the lines that sometimes our timing and the Lord's timing are not the same.  Something like that, anyway.

Well, my true love came into my life several months later than what I would have wished for and at exactly the right time for me when he did.  We had crossed paths previously, but those brief encounters were somewhat insignificant until we revisited them as each other's fiancee.  Britt would say they were not insignificant, but maybe I will let him share his perspective another time.

I have been sick this past week; I slept through most of my Thanksgiving Holiday, while we were visiting Britt's mom in St. George, and it had nothing to do with the turkey!  I finally saw a doctor on Saturday, and got the diagnosis that I had Strep Throat, got a shot, and since then I have still been doing a lot of sleeping.  I'm not entirely coherent, so I think I am going to let my journal pages tell some of that story for me:

June 26, 1994  (9:30 a.m.)

. . . .  Britt Barton asked me out!!!  So, I actually will get to go on one date in all the ten months I've been here.  He invited me to the Bar-D in Durango.  It's going to be a blast!  I've never been there before and it'll be so much fun with Britt.

. . . {stuff about Tami Harris, his missionary girlfriend, blah, blah, blah} . . .

But this will be fun.  Britt is my friend.  Here in Blanding I've only been able to find a few really good friends and they are at least 15 to 20 years older than me.  It's hard to hang out with people with jobs and families.

July 3, 1994  (9:30 a.m.)

Two actual dates in one week!  Can you believe it?  After all the time I've spent in Blanding.  And they were real dates with real people.

Darren Day just got home from his mission and he called me up.  All his other girlfriends have apparently already gotten married.  He and I went out on Wednesday.  We were going to go to Institute, but no one was there.

. . . {stuff about Darren Day, blah, blah, blah} . . .

Chrislynn [my sister] was in the Miss San Juan Pageant in Monticello last Saturday.  When I was there with her on Friday for a practice, I saw Britt Barton and he asked me out.  (Chrislynn won second attendant, by the way)

He invited me to go to the Bar D Chuckwagon near Purgatory with him, this past Saturday.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go, because I thought the Fourth celebration was then, and I'm scheduled to work 7-10 on the day of the celebration.

Turns out, the 4th is on the 4th.  That makes sense, don't you think?  So when Britt came to pick me up at 4:00, I was ready to go.

And when he dropped me off at 1:00 a.m., I was ready to go again.  I had a great time.  We made it just in time for the show.  Our table was way in back, but it was perfect because we weren't too crowded, and we got to eat soon enough.  It was fun!

The food was good.  The show was entertaining and the company was great.  I felt so comfortable with Britt.  When he told me he really likes my hair [I had just recently dyed it dark red and cut it short], I was flattered without feeling stupid.  He treats me with respect--i'd almost forgotten what that was like.  I could talk without feeling like my ideas were going to be shot down.  And he included me in his conversations with other people there. . . .

It was really nice.  And I can now contrast what a really good experience is compared to the crap I've been putting up with lately.

Britt said I should get out more, but I'm already resigned to the fact that it's just not happening in Blanding.  I'll be moving soon enough.

But he wants to go out with me again, before he moves to Phoenix later this week.


July 5, 1994  (10:20 p.m.)

Oh wow. . .!  He kissed me.


. . . .[He] picked me up at 10:30--I finished work at 10:15.  We roasted S'mores--well, marshmallows and made S'mores--out at Recapture.  Sat and then laid under the stars just enjoying each other's company. . . .  And then he kissed me.  We got back a little after 3:00 a.m.--I know.

Anyway, he's decided not to move to Phoenix this week.


July 12, 1994  (8:15 a.m.)

Do you know, we went for a walk Sunday night. . . .  Britt asked what I thought was unique about us.  I just started babbling.  But he said the one major thing that stands out to him is that often when he's with me, he can feel the Spirit.

What a compliment!  Wow, do I feel a little undeserving. . . .


July24, 1994  (9:30 a.m.)

Guess what surprise I got for my birthday?  I'm engaged!!  Aaagh!!  You should see the rock on my finger.  It's so beautiful.  I had such a good birthday.  Britt told me he wanted to make this my best birthday so far. . . .

I'm engaged!  I'm getting married!  It really is starting to set in now.  This still feels a little unreal.  I thought this would never happen for me.  I've got someone to spend my forever with.  Somebody up there really loves me, because I still can't decide whether I deserve this.


Heavenly Father knew I needed this joy.  He knew we needed each other.  Britt knew my whole story before he even asked me out.  It was one of the things about me that drew him to me.  Look how young we look then!

And He had so many more blessings in store for me.

Remember what I recently said about this stuff not being easy?  No, not easy, but definitely worth it!


No comments: